Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Facebook iOS SDK

In the end, every app developer is faced with the question 'How do I get people to see my app(s)?'. One step towards this was adding a button that made it easy for the user at the end of the game to share a quote on Facebook. The idea of putting our logo and link next to the quote on our user's news stream seemed like an ideal way to increase visibility.

Wrong. Facebook documentation is fragmented across many versions of the SDK. The latest version at GitHub is by far the best, it's clear and I found no memory issues with Instruments BUT Facebook's backend frequently stops working. I've released two products that worked when released and then at some point stopped working, then started working, then stopped… And the real shocker is how few times this option gets used: User's push the "Share on Facebook"  button only 1/3 of 1% of games played.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have never included Facebook support, but now I'm stuck with it. It's a huge time sink and source of frustration - user's send emails like "it worked yesterday and now it doesn't".

No comments:

Post a Comment